Haberdashers' Aske's Federation has teamed up with Harrison Catering to provide a nutritionally balanced meal that is exciting for our pupils.
About Harrison Catering
Since its founding in 1994, Harrison has always been about quality fresh food prepared on-site and served by people who love what they do.
Harrison understands that what students eat affects their health and their ability to learn and perform in the classroom and on the field. Our catering team provides nutritious, balanced meals, and we work to educate the students on how to make healthier food choices. Our goal is to instil a love and understanding of fresh, healthy food at a young age that will positively influence them throughout life.
All Harrison staff receive training on how to prepare and serve healthier food through the company’s bespoke Eat Well Live Well© training programme and complete Smile accredited customer service training to ensure the best experience for customers. They are also encouraged and supported to develop professionally throughout their career and the company provides many opportunities to achieve formal qualifications.
The Harrison team works closely with us to tailor menus to the tastes and preferences of the students. It introduces further interest and excitement to menus through themed lunches and dinners ranging from holidays like Easter and Christmas to cuisines from around the world, tying these into the school curriculum whenever possible in a fun and stimulating way.
Harrison have a comprehensive food allergen and intolerance process and the Catering Team work closely with students and their families to address individual dietary needs.
How to pay
A meal deal costs £2.40 and consists of the meal of the day, pudding and a drink. We ask that parents use ParentPay, which allows you to pay for school meals in advance. Parents and carers will be able to view all transactions made by students within the Academy, and should you wish to place dietary restrictions or spend limits on your child's account please do contact us to arrange this.
Breakfast and mid-morning offer
Our caterers also provide students with the option to purchase a light breakfast between 8.00 to 8.30am. A mid-morning snack can be purchased between 10.40am and 10.55am.
We encourage our students to eat a balanced and healthy diet. Our canteen offers a range of healthy, delicious meals. However, should your child prefer to bring a packed lunch, here are some guidelines we would appreciate you following:
Packed lunches should include:
- At least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables.
- A carbohydrate food such as wholemeal or granary bread, pasta, potato salad.
- Dairy food such as milk, cheese, yogurt or custard.
- Meat, fish or other source of non- dairy protein.
- Drinks should be water, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi skimmed milk, yogurt or milk drinks or smoothies.
An example of a healthy packed lunch may look like this: tuna or ham salad sandwich, bread sticks with a hummus dip, cucumber or carrot batons, apple, yogurt and a bottle of flavoured water.
Healthy guidance for packed lunches:
- An alternative to snacks such as crisps could be seeds, vegetables and fruit. Savoury crackers or bread sticks served with fruit or vegetables are also a good choice.
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars and sweets should be avoided if possible. Cakes and biscuits should only be eaten as part of a balanced meal.
- Try to avoid processed meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausage / chipolatas where possible
- Fizzy drinks or energy drinks are not allowed in School at all.
Allergies & Special Diets
- Please be aware that some students suffer from severe nut allergies. Please do not put items in your child's packed lunch containing nuts.
- We also recognise that some students may require special diets that do not exactly comply with Health In Education standards. In this case we urge you to be responsible in ensuring that packed lunches are as healthy as possible.
For the reasons above, we ask that students do not swap food items.