Careers and Employability
Enabling our Students to Achieve Their Full Potential
Career exploration, subject choices and pathway applications are crucial in ensuring students link their learning in the classroom to the working world.
That is why, in addition to the wealth of early support students receive each year, we offer independent careers interviews from an early age, as well as having a dedicated careers lead.
Having a careers lead within the school means that pupils have instant access to a number of careers services throughout the school day, this will ensure that our pupils are well informed and able to take advantage of the array of opportunities available to them. Our main focus being on supporting our pupils long-term careers ambitions, making use of our exceptionally trained tutors, utilising our links with external consultants and speakers from some of the UK’s largest companies. In addition to our careers lead our students follow an extensive careers program, this prepares them for making informed decisions about their future, applications for university, apprenticeships, college or work; whichever is their chosen pathway.
The Careers provision is guided and evaluated against the Gatsby Benchmarks, which we are proud to meet each one.
"For me, the experience of applying to University was quite a swift one due to the number of resources & careers Advice we were provided with, not only in Year 12, but also in Year 13.”
2020 – Sixth Form Leaver
Career exploration, experience of industry and application support are key to enriching the post-16 offer and ensuring our students are prepared for their next stage of education, higher apprenticeships or employment.
In 2020, our cohort of sixth form students secured outstanding destinations, with 70% securing a place at a higher education institution to study. Examples include:
- Politic & International Studies at the University of Warwick
- Pharmacy at University College London
- Natural Sciences at Exeter
- Biomedical Science with Medicine at St. George’s University
- Banking & Finance at The London Institute of Banking & Finance
Furthermore, 21% of our students went on to secure a higher apprenticeship and employment with multinational companies.
These outstanding destinations stem from the unique support we receive from the Haberdashers’ Trust, where students are given scholarships to contribute towards their higher education costs, exclusive work experience opportunities and networking events.
Information, Advice and Guidance offered includes:
- General careers interviews - Exploring specific career ideas and identifying the different routes into chosen career paths will equip students in achieving their ambitions. A careers interview will give you the information to allow you to make informed decisions on your progression and career paths.
- Employability - Helps to identify the skills that are required for employment and equip students with the skills set to enable them to produce CVs, apply for jobs, gain interview skills and job preparation. Through workshops and one-to-one sessions, students will gain the knowledge to allow them to effectively search for employment.
- Apprenticeship advice - Provides students with information about apprenticeships and the different levels available, which allows students to explore apprenticeships as an alternative progression route into their chosen career.
- Higher education -Through the delivery of workshops and one-to-one guidance, students will be supported in applying for entry into higher education. We can help students construct personal statements and student finance applications. Students will be equipped with the knowledge to identify what degrees are suitable to achieve their career goals.
Contact the Careers Service at Crayford Academy
For further information, please contact our Careers & Transitions service:
Mrs C Moyo, Careers Coordinator and UCAS Lead | email@example.com | 01322 402 180 Ext 5023
Date of Next Review of the information published: September 2021